Was Your Child a Victim of School Harassment? Our New Jersey Attorney Can Help
School bullying in any form is something no child should endure. However, when the bullying is motivated by discrimination and bias, it becomes a particularly invidious experience – one that can deeply interfere with a student’s learning and sense of well-being. Fortunately, recent years have seen a broadening of the scope of legal remedies available to children victimized at school.
At Zatuchni & Associates, our New Jersey school harassment lawyer is a passionate, attentive advocate for parents and families. If your child endured bullying or harassment in school and you have questions about your rights, we can help. To arrange a completely private case evaluation with an experienced New Jersey school harassment & discrimination attorney, please contact us today.
What to Know About the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination and School Harassment
The New Jersey Law Against Discrimination (the “NJLAD”) provides much-needed legal protection against discriminatory conduct. The law is generally associated with employment discrimination, but it covers other matters as well. For example, state courts now apply the NJLAD not only to the workplace but to school settings as well. As such, the NJLAD makes it unlawful for a school district to fail to protect a student against harassment by other students, when the district:
- Knew or had reason to know of such harassment; and
- The harassment was based on the student’s race, gender, sexual orientation, or other legally protected status
School administrators and school districts have a legal and moral responsibility to protect students from harassment and discrimination. At Zatuchni & Associates, we have experience fighting school districts that have turned a blind eye to this kind of biased-based student bullying. Indeed, we have obtained financial and legal redress on behalf of students subjected to a “hostile educational environment” under the NJLAD.
If your child is suffering from biased-based bullying that your school district is failing to prevent, we may be able to help. You and your family deserve high-quality, fully personalized representation from an attorney who truly cares about your case. To learn more about your child’s rights under the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, please do not hesitate to call us for a free consultation.
An Overview of the New Jersey Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights Act (ABR)
Students also have rights under New Jersey’s anti-bullying laws. In 2011, state lawmakers enacted some of the strongest and most comprehensive anti-bullying legislation in the entire country. As explained by the New Jersey Department of Education, students are protected by the Anti-Bullying Bill of Rights Act (ABR). Here are four things you and your family should know about this state statute:
- The ABR expanded upon previous anti-bullying legislation to provide additional protection against bullying and harassment, including covering characteristics that are not protected traits under the NJLAD.
- The ABR requires teachers and other school staff to report bullying behavior. The parents of the alleged offender and alleged victim are entitled to notification by the school.
- A school must conduct a prompt, comprehensive investigation after learning of harassment or other bullying behavior. The ABR instructs the school to start the investigation within one day. Depending on the findings, the school may impose discipline, order counseling, provide intervention services, or take other action needed to protect the students.
- Parents have a right to file a student harassment complaint with the New Jersey Division of Civil Rights or with the Superior Court of New Jersey. Under the statute, a student who has had their rights violated may be entitled to injunctive relief, compensation, and recovery for full attorneys’ fees.
The ABR is a complicated state law. If you have any questions or concerns about your child’s rights under New Jersey’s anti-bullying laws, contact an experienced school harassment lawyer for immediate assistance with your case.
You Can Rely On New Jersey School Discrimination Attorney David Zatuchni
For parents, there are few things more stressful and frustrating than finding out that their child is being mistreated at school—especially when teachers and administrators are failing to take proper action to rectify the problem. As an experienced New Jersey employment lawyer, David Zatuchni has the skills and knowledge to handle the full spectrum of discrimination claims, including school harassment cases. When you reach out to our law firm, you will speak directly with a New Jersey school discrimination and harassment lawyer who will:
- Listen to your story and explain your family’s rights under New Jersey law;
- Further investigate the matter—securing information and evidence; and
- Take immediate legal action to protect the health, safety, and well-being of your child.
Your child deserves justice and fair and equal access to educational opportunities. Bullying, harassment, and discrimination can destroy a learning environment and cause serious psychological (or physical) harm to a vulnerable student. We provide personalized legal guidance and support to families across the region. With a strong record of successful settlements and verdicts in discrimination and harassment claims, your family can count on our New Jersey school harassment lawyer to handle your case the right way.
Call Our New Jersey School Harassment Lawyers Today
At Zatuchni & Associates, our New Jersey school harassment attorney is a compassionate and reliable advocate for parents and students. Your kid deserves full access to an education. If you have any questions about your child’s rights and options under the law, we are more than prepared to help. Contact us now for a free, fully private review of your case. From our offices in Morristown and Lambertville, we provide legal services to parents and families throughout New Jersey.