Our Lambertville Discrimination Attorney Represents Employees Throughout Hunterdon County
At Zatuchni & Associates, our Lambertville racial discrimination lawyers put time, resources, and personal attention into every case. With a sole focus on advocating for the rights of employees, our firm has a strong record of successful results in complex workplace matters. If you or someone you know suffered unlawful discrimination or harassment at work, we are here to help. To arrange your fully private initial consultation with a top-rated New Jersey employment discrimination lawyer, please contact us today.
Racial Discrimination is Prohibited Under State and Federal Law
Your race, ethnic heritage, or national origin should never be used against you to deny you fair and equitable treatment in the workplace. Sadly, race discrimination remains in a problem in New Jersey and throughout the United States. There are laws in place that protect the rights of employees who were mistreated based on their race. Here are the two key statutes to know:
- Federal Law: Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is the main federal workplace discrimination law in the United States. The statute bars race-based discrimination. However, it only applies to businesses and organizations with at least 15 employees.
- State Law: The New Jersey Law Against Discrimination shares many commonalities with Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. It also bans racial discrimination in the workplace. Though, the law applies to far more employers. Companies/organizations of any size are covered by the LAD.
Discrimination: Adverse Employment Actions
Were you subject to an adverse employment action in the workplace? Broadly defined, an adverse employment action is simply something “unfavorable” that happened to you. If an adverse employment action was motivated at least in part because of your race, your rights may have been violated under state or federal law. Here are some of the most common examples of adverse actions:
- Refusal to hire a job applicant;
- Denial of a promotion or job opportunity;
- Assignment to less desirable job duties;
- Lower salary or fewer workplace benefits;
- Unjust, unwarranted, or disproportionate disciplinary action;
- Wrongful terminations—firing, discharge, layoffs, etc.
Racial discrimination claims require proof of discriminatory animus on the part of an employer/supervisor. It is crucial that you work with an experienced Lambertville, NJ employment law attorney who can help you prepare all of the evidence to put together a strong, persuasive legal claim that demonstrates that your rights were violated.
Legal Protections Against Racial Harassment
In some cases, employees are subject to unacceptable levels of racial harassment. State and federal employment laws protect people against harassment in the workplace. As a general rule, you need to prove two things to bring a successful employment harassment claim in New Jersey:
- You were subject to unwelcoming, intimidating, or otherwise uncomfortable treatment that was so severe or pervasive that it reasonably interfered with your ability to perform your job; and
- The harassment in question was based, at least in part, on a protected characteristic—such as race, ethnic background, or national origin.
Notably, state and federal law protects workers against harassment based on actual or perceived racial characteristics. That a harasser got your racial, ethnic, or national origin background wrong is not a defense against a legal claim.
How New Jersey Workplace Discrimination Attorney David Zatuchni Can Help
The employment law claims process is complicated. Too many workers are discouraged from asserting their rights because they do not know where to start. Our founding lawyer David Zatuchni can help. Among other things, our Lambertville racial discrimination attorney is prepared to:
- Listen to your story and answer your questions during a free initial consultation;
- Gather and prepare all evidence of racial discrimination or harassment;
- Advocate for your rights and interests in settlement discussions; and
- Take your case as far as it needs to go to get you the best possible outcome.
We are proud to provide personalized advice to every client. Your case matters and you deserve fair and equitable treatment in the workplace. With a track record of successful results in complex employment law cases, you can rely on our Lambertville race discrimination lawyers.
Call Our Lambertville, NJ Racial Discrimination Attorney Today
At Zatuchni & Associates, our Lambertville employment law attorney is a strong, tireless advocate for justice. We protect the rights of workers. If you or your family member was subject to unlawful racial discrimination in the workplace, please do not hesitate to contact us for a free, strictly confidential evaluation of your case. We represent employees in Lambertville and throughout Hunterdon County, including in Raritan Township, Readington Township, and Clinton Township.