While discrimination in the workplace is prohibited under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, which is enforced by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EOC), discrimination based on ethnicity, race, and national origin occurs far too frequently. At the law office of Zatuchni & Associates, our Hackensack employment lawyers are here to represent you if you’ve been the victim of ethnic discrimination in the workplace. Reach out to us today for your free consultation.
Your Right to a Discrimination-Free Workplace
It is against the law to treat an employee differently, harass an employee (this includes harassment by the employer/manager as well as harassment by other employees or others in the workplace), or deny an employee a reasonable workplace change/accommodation based on race, ethnicity, or national origin. While race typically refers to a combination of physical traits and behavioral and cultural attributes, some of which may be inherited, ethnicity is understood as belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition, or as belonging to a group that shares the same language, cultural practices, beliefs, or ancestors. As such, there is often a lot of overlap between ethnic discrimination, racial discrimination, and national origin discrimination.
Examples of Ethnic Discrimination
Examples of ethnic discrimination in the workplace might include, but are not limited to, treating someone differently based on their ethnicity—for example:
- Denying someone a promotion or pay raise
- Paying someone less than another employee doing the same type of work
- Failing to accommodate a reasonable workplace change or accommodation that’s needed because of a religious belief
- Harassing an employee
- Punishing an employee
- Refusing to hire someone
In addition to the above, it is also against the law to retaliate against a person who formally or informally raises a complaint of discrimination. Retaliation might include terminating an employee, denying an employee a raise or promotion, demoting an employee, reducing an employee’s wages, threatening an employee, etc.
How Our Hackensack Ethnic Discrimination Lawyers Can Help
Our Hackensack ethnic discrimination lawyers are passionate about standing up for the rights of employees like you. If you believe that you have been a victim of ethnic discrimination in the workplace, our lawyers can help you by:
- Investigating your case, which includes gathering evidence to build your claim, talking to witnesses, etc.;
- Advising you of your options and how to file a complaint with the EEOC, New Jersey Division on Civil Rights (DCR), or both;
- Explaining legal remedies that may be available, including back pay for lost wages, reinstatement to your position, attorney’s fees, and more;
- Handling all paperwork and filings related to your case;
- Representing you in the trial if your case goes to court; and
- Providing legal advice and support every step of the way.
Our lawyers work with your best interests in mind to secure the best-case outcome possible.
Get Legal Help from a Hackensack Ethnic Discrimination Lawyer Today
If you have been a victim of ethnic discrimination, you have legal rights. Our lawyers are here to help you get the legal remedies you deserve. For your free consultation, please call our Hackensack ethnic discrimination law firm directly today or send us a message online at your convenience.